Council Meeting Minutes
April 13, 2006
Meeting called to order at 7:30 pm by Mayor Mary Barber. Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Roll call: Robert Ortman – Present
Warren Simpson – Present
Ed Vanek – Present
Rita Leiendecker – Absent
Steve Reedy – Present
Laura Clark – Present
Mary Barber – Present
Aaron Reedy – Present
Mary asked if any visitors wished to speak. No one did.
Steve made a motion to approve the March 2006 minutes. Robert second. All yea.
Robert made a motion to approve the March 2006 financial
Mary asked if there were any candidates present for the open seat on the Board of Public Affairs. JoAnn Hite was present for the open seat.
Ed made a motion to not appoint anyone to the open seat, consider hiring a Village Administrator, and to have the Solicitor prepare the legislation to create the position of Village Administrator, which would abolish the Board of Public affairs. Robert second. All yea.
Ed made a motion to waive the three-reading rule and declare an emergency for Ordinance 2006-9, An Ordinance to Amend the 2006 Appropriations Ordinance and the declaration of an emergency. Steve second. All yea.
Robert made a motion to adopt Ordinance 2006-9, An Ordinance to Amend the 2006 Appropriations Ordinance and the declaration of an emergency. Laura second. All yea.
Special Guest Brooks Davis was present to discuss zoning and do Fair Housing Training. Brooks explained about not discriminating within Fair Housing. If there are any issues, people can contact the Fairfield County Regional Planning Commission. They also provide information on Landlord and Tenant Rights.
Brooks went on to explain zoning is; what it does and
doesn’t do, and it’s purposes. He said
they recently helped Amanda and are helping Carroll and
Report from Fire Chief – Jim Hite submitted his report - see attached.
Mary asked if we could move the tornado siren from the
firehouse to the
Report from the Service Committee: Robert said they met April 6th. Those present were Robert Ortman, Ed Vanek, Steve Reedy, Laura Clark, Mary Barber and Bob Black. Robert said several catch basins need cleaned and repaired when the weather breaks. They are in bad shape. They decided they need to purchase a trash pump, which would divert water from the catch basins. Jamie Carroll said the fire department needs one, too, so why don’t they just split the cost and both use it. Steve said it would cost about $600.
Bob Black said he would get an estimate from Carl Hoshire to
repair the overhang on the
Mary said she was going to the next Walnut Creek Sewer
District meeting to get a progress on the
Ed made a motion to purchase the 3” trash pump and split the cost with the fire department. Laura second. All yea.
Report from the Safety Committee: Rita was absent. Ed and Robert talked about flags for the village.
Report from the Finance Committee: Didn’t meet.
Report from the Rules Committee: Didn’t meet.
Report from the Regional Planning Representative: Robert said they got an update on the Block Grant funds. Terry Vandervoort brought information about the Lancaster Bike Trail. They got $550,000 in grants. The trail links three counties.
Old Business – Aaron said Columbia Gas left a 30-day shutoff notice at the office because the old furnace is broken. If we don’t fix it in 30 days, they will shut off the gas. They said the exhaust is not going out of the unit correctly. Council reviewed the bids for the furnace.
Mary said that the Village Residents need to keep their sidewalks clean, and not putting their yard waste or anything else in the catch basins.
New Business - Jim Hite said he has some chairs at the firehouse they want to get rid of, and offered them to Council. Council said we’d take them.
Mary said she’s been getting a lot of complaints about the old school building next door. There is trash everywhere. Mary called them earlier in the week and they said they wave the trash picked up by Friday, April 14.
Mary said she called Poggemeyer for the status of a Village Engineer contract. They said they’d have someone call us.
Mary said she’d work out a time with Rita to get with the VFW to get new flags up.
Michelle Shumaker (Village Secretary) asked about the status of gravel in the alley for Nancy Wright. Robert said the committee didn’t really discuss it. Steve said they might need to just grade it. Ed made a motion to table the issue until they can check it out. Steve second. All yea.
Mary said everyone should have gotten a copy of a letter from the Ohio EPA to the Walnut Creek Sewer District regarding several violations and fines. She just wants to keep everyone in the loop.
Laura made a motion to adjourn. Ed second. All yea. The time is 8:55 p.m.
Aaron L. Reedy, Clerk